Wanderful interactive storybooks is a revived developer of Living Books founded in 2010 by former Living Books CEO Mickey W. Mantle.
A small team of the original Brøderbund programmers were reunited to create a new engine that could emulate the animation, graphics, sound and music from the original Living Books CD-ROMs and convert them to iOS apps at full-screen resolution on the iPad using a touch, rather than a mouse driven interface. Mark Schlichting – creator of the Living Books series – joined the team as Chief Creative Officer and developed touch-driven updates to the original mouse-driven interface.
Wanderful has so far re-released the following Living Books titles as iOS Apps (in order by release date):
- Arthur's Teacher Trouble (English and Spanish) by Marc Brown (author)
- Little Monster at School (English and Spanish) by Mercer Mayer
- The Tortoise and the Hare (English and Spanish) an Aesops fable
- Harry and the Haunted House (English and Spanish) by Mark Schlichting
- The Berenstain Bears Get in a Fight (English and Spanish) by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Wanderful Storybook Sampler (English)
- Arthur's Birthday (V1) (English and Spanish) by Marc Brown (author)
- The Berenstain Bears in the Dark (English) by Stan and Jan Berenstain
- Ruff's Bone (English and Spanish) By Eli Noyes
- The New Kid on the Block (English) by Jack Prelutsky, Illustrated by James Stevenson
- Stellaluna (English and Portuguese) by Janell Cannon
- The Quit page has been removed, and the Options menu has been revamped– allowing you to jump to any page just by dragging down the top screen and scrolling to the desired page, then tapping the page you want to jump to.
- The games are available in more languages including Spanish, German, French, UK English, and Portuguese. When you first purchase an app for each title, you will only get the English language, and purchase is required to get other languages.
- There are two sections of credits on these iOS apps: one being the original Living Books jazz credits from the original games for the Living Books team, and another for the Wanderful team.
- The following games were not re-released by Wanderful as follows:
- Just Grandma and Me, Dr. Seuss' ABC, Green Eggs and Ham, and The Cat in the Hat were not re-released by Wanderful, as they already have their own storybook apps by Oceanhouse Media– which don't use the Living Books versions.
- Sheila Rae, the Brave, Arthur's Reading Race, Arthur's Birthday (V2) and Arthur's Computer Adventure were not re-released by Wanderful for unknown reasons and it is unknown if they will be anytime soon, possibly due to budget constraints.
- D.W. the Picky Eater was not re-released by Wanderful, possibly due to low production values and lack of Broderbund's involvement as Media Station produced the game.